Penarth Cars

029 2070 1122

Penarth Fish Bar

029 2025 7700

MATCH REPORT    19/9/15    FC Barry  2  -  5  PENARTH TOWN

Penarth Town's first team played away to FC Barry last weekend in the Vale Premiership. The game started on a fairly even footing with both sides creating half chances but not converting any.

After about 20 minutes Penarth started to get on top with Jonny Williams and Tristan Davies dominating the central midfield supported by Alex Donovan and Scott Willetts, who ran tirelessly up and down the flanks. This dominance paid off when Lewis Marsh had space to push forward from the back and played a lovely through ball to Anthony Angove up front who turned his man to create the space to shoot, which he did, across the keeper and into the bottom right hand corner to give Town the lead.

Grant Beedell was also working hard just behind the front two of Angove and his brother Paul and not long after a little one two put Paul in who fired hard and low for the visitors second. This did however seem to spark the Barry side into life and they started to build some pressure themselves. They were moving the ball around well but not really getting close to the Penarth goal. Then out of nothing a long range shot came in with such power that Chris Hegarty, who up until then had looked completely solid in the Penarth goal, had no chance.

So now the game was on but no further scoring before half time. Town got their heads together during the break and came out ready for action in the second half. Their back three of Marsh, Rhys Fford and Luke McShane remained strong and soaked up everything FC could come up with. Penarth continued to press high with Angove and Paul Beedell not giving the home team any time to play out from the back. This pressure eventually paid off when Paul robbed the oppositions defender and played his brother in who fired home in some style. The Barry side continued to try and play out from the back and again paid the price. After good pressure from Donovan their keeper ended up stranded on the left side of his box as the ball fell to Angove who fired into the empty net.

Penarth were really dominating now and soon after another fine ball in, from Willetts this time, was just headed wide by Williams. Town brought on fresh legs in the form of Ben Dean who ran at the home team and helped push them back again. FC were by now tiring badly and a miss-timed tackle led to a free kick wide on the left of their goal. Donovan whipped the ball to the back post where Angove popped up to knock it in and claim his hat trick and Penarth's fifth.

A late free kick led to a consolation goal for the home side but it was too little too late, final score 5-2. A great all round performance leaving the manager Andrew Kempton well pleased with the performance of his players.  Penarth's next game is Masons Moving Group at home on the 3rd of October.